Thursday 26 March 2015

moke's pancakes, nakameguro


Just as I thought the pancake trend was dwindling out, Satoshi and I stumbled across this decadent little joint in Nakameguro, and life has never been the same since. Moke's isn't much from the outside - your regular Hawaiin-style cafe, albeit with the slightly discouraging use of that early 2000's ultra-cheap logo font you tend to spot at those English fry-up type places down the back streets of your local ghetto...but hey, whatever. I was hungry for junk and this place delivered an indulgent hit of sweetness so good that I've since become a regular.



The menu hosts a range of sweet and savoury treats, from loco-moco to acai bowls to eggs benedict, but everybody knows the star of the show is the humungous pancakes smothered in Moke's own recipe lilikoi (passionfruit) sauce. You can, of course, go for the bog-standard pancakes with maple syrup (above), but my logic is if you're going to clog your arteries with sugar anyway, why not go all out. 



My favourite is the banana pancakes with lilikoi (above) - a deliciously zingy mix of tangy passionfruit and creamy banana. The sauce is sweet, but refreshing, and although it's a little too over-generously dolloped on, its the kind of tantalising and unstoppable taste experience that makes you want to lick the plate clean. Of course, I always leave feeling like the size of a bus, but that combination of fluffy pancake and thick creamy drizzle just keeps me coming back for more.

The cafe is always packed with girls, and at peak times there's often a queue. I'd recommend coming on an empty stomach, or splitting the pancakes between two, (although I guarantee you'll end up wishing you ordered more...).

Moke's is located at 1-17-8 Kamimeguro, just a short walk from Nakameguro station (come out the main ticket gate and turn left). It's open daily from 10am-10pm.






No comments:

Post a Comment